Sunday, December 08, 2013

Calbee Snapea Crisps Review

While doing my weekly shopping at the Columbia, Maryland Wegmans, I came across Calbee's Snapea Crisps in the condiment aisle. They sounded different so, I decided to try the 3 varieties as well as their Lentil Snaps which are just like the Snapea Crisps.

What are Snapea Crisps? They're baked green pea pods (or lentil pods in the case of the lentil snaps).  Apparently baking the pods can make them nice and crunchy and Calbee adds 4 different flavorings (salted, ceasar, black pepper and tomato basil for the lentil snaps) to give them some kind of taste. The flavorings aren't overbearing and don't contain any monosodium glutamate (big plus in my book). The crisps/snaps offer a big plus over regular potato chips in that they have less fat, more fiber and less sodium than regular potato chips. They're an easy way to get your veggies (no cooking involved) which everyone needs.

Price wise, the Columbia, Maryland Wegmans sells the 4 different kinds for $1.99 for each 3.3 ounce bag (3 ounces for the lentil snaps). Compared to potato chips, this does make them a little pricey though any veggie snack as far I know isn't going to be cheap barring potato chips.

Taste wise, I found they taste fine. They advertise the tomato basil as Zesty. I found it tame.

Overall, I think they're a nice natural snack that is better for you than potato chips or corn chips. Also, I like that they are a very easy way for me to get my veggies. Do remember if you're interested in these crisps that you'll find them in the condiment section vice the snack section. I think they do that because they are veggies. Wegmans puts pickles, olives, peppers and pickled okra in the condiment section too. Bon appetit all!

January 5, 2014 Update: From January 2, 2014 to January 26, 2014 Costco is offering 20 ounce resealable bags of Calbee's Lightly Salted Snapea Crisps for $5.39 (after they take off $1.50 for the promotion). This is a great deal if you like these crisps. You're talking paying about getting the same product for less than half the cost - 60 cents an ounce at Wegmans vice 27 cents (rounded up) an ounce at Costco. The only down side I see to this deal is you can only get it in the lightly salted flavor. For those who like these crisps, this is a deal they should take advantage of while it lasts.

No comments: