Saturday, December 07, 2013

Another Generic Propecia Enters the U.S. Market

This past September, Camber Pharmaceuticals, Incorporated based out of Piscataway, New Jersey announced it would begin selling generic Propecia in the U.S. market. The company will be offering the drug in the 1 milligram pill in 30 count and 90 count containers. (Source: http://camberpharma.com/news/camber_PR_New%20Products%20copy.pdf) This breaks the exclusivity that Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited had at the beginning of the year when they entered the U.S. market in what I believe was the first offering of generic Propecia.

I found out about this when I bought my latest Propecia refill and found out it was made by Camber Pharmaceuticals. Also, I found out that the new generic is apparently cheaper than that for sale by Dr. Reddy's Laboratories. Sam's Club is offering the new generic in 90 count form for $72.53 (that's the price I paid at their Laurel, Maryland store on December 6, 2013) which is over $30 less than the generic (which was probably Dr. Reddy's) back in September (see my September 4, 2013 post). Please note that to get this price at Sam's Club, you must have an Advantage Plus membership.

The cost difference between the generic Propecia and name brand Propecia is now such that you can buy a 9 month supply of the generic for the same price approximately as you can for a 3 month supply of the name brand. This is a HUGE savings. Personally, I hope the generics continue to bring the price down on this once expensive drug.

Update March 9th, 2014: The price on this generic is holding steady. Last week, I bought a 3 month refill at Sam's Club for $72.50. Do remember you must have an Advantage Plus level membership to get this price.

Update June 6th, 2014: The price on this generic has apparently gone down a little. I bought my latest 3 month refill yesterday and, it cost me $64.43.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen some comments online of people experiencing shedding and negative side effects after switching from brand propecia to generic. Have you experienced anything like this?

Anonymous said...

Camber propecia is now $36/three months at Costco.

I've heard rumors online that the generic propecia was causing shedding for people that switched from brand. Have you experienced this?

Ditto said...

Sorry I didn't reply to you sooner Anonymous but, I've been on a 2 week Panama Canal cruise with Royal Caribbean.

Concerning your question about shedding, I don't use the Costco generic Propecia anymore as Sam's Club had one that was cheaper. It may not be based on the price you quoted at Costco. I haven't had any problems with the Sam's Club one. Do you know if people have reported those problems to Costco? If people are experiencing those problems, they should know and stop selling that generic. The purpose of the drug is to save people's hair, not cause them to lose it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ditto:

Did you notice any reduction in results or problems with the Camber generic version of Propecia? My Costco pharmacy in southern California just gave me the Camber generic Propecia - 90 pills for $32.18. Great price. But having always taken the brand name and having heard sketchy things about generics, especially ones from overseas' pharmacies, I am a little concerned and wondering if I should exchange it for the brand name.

Ditto said...

Hi Anonymous,

In regards to your feelings concerning the Camber generic Propecia, you are the final judge on what you do. It's YOUR money. If you will feel more at ease and can afford the higher cost of the name brand which you've used for years, by all means switch back to it. I've been using generic Propecia (currently the one Sam's Club sells though I'm not promoting them) for years and, I still have my hair. As you can see by a previous commenter, there might be issues with the Camber product though I can't say if they're true or not. As I don't use the Camber product any longer, I don't have any personal experience where I could advise you one way or the other. I'm sorry that my reply isn't much help.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ditto,
So which brand are you currently taking now?

Ditto said...

To the Anonymous who asked which brand of generic propecia I'm taking, I'm taking 5mg Finasteride (another name for Propecia) tablets made by Exelan Pharmaceuticals Inc. It's the brand dispensed by the base pharmacy I get all my prescriptions from. Prior to the base getting this form of generic propecia I was spending my own money for it as the only form the military offered with this drug was Longhorn or something like which was a 20 mg pill you had to split into 4 pieces. As I didn't care to have to use a pill splitter and was concerning about getting the prescribed dose, I bought the medication from Costco and later Sam's Club (see previous blog entries about that).

Anonymous said...

Hi Ditto,

Since this is thread is now over 3years old, I’d like to know how the generic Propecia has been working for you. I’ve heard rumors that it’s not as good as name brand Propecia, and then I’ve heard that there’s no difference...Could you please discuss your results with generic Propecia?

Anonymous said...

So in the 3+ years since you’ve posted this, how has generic Propecia been working for you?

Ditto said...

To Anonyous,

As far as I can tell, generic Propecia is working for me as I still have my hair. I still wish I'd started on Propecia sooner at the beginning as I believe I'd have more of my hair (and yes, it matters to me) if I had.

nestpillmart said...

Nice post.
Propecia buy for enlarged prostate