Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Calbee Shrimp Chips Review

While stationed in England, I discovered prawn (shrimp to those in the Unites States) flavored crisps (potato chips to those in the United States). I thought they were pretty cool. I munched many a bag of prawn flavored crisps. While searching through the snacks sections on Wegmans webpage, I discovered they offered Calbee Shrimp Chips. They reminded me of England and, I decided to try them.

The chips are different from prawn flavored crisps in that they have ground up shrimp in them. For those who are allergic to shellfish, you'll want to avoid these. The crisps have a shrimp flavor to them. As they're baked not fried, they're not as fattening as crisps (potato chips). The chips have no cholesterol or trans fats. A 1 ounce serving has 5 grams of total fat and 130 calories. Price wise, Wegmans sells a 4 ounce bag for $1.99. The only down side to see to this tasty snack is they use Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) in them. I don't like MSG and, I think they put it in too many processed foods.

Overall, I liked Calbee's Shrimp Chips. They remind me of England even though they're made in California. Strangely, Wegmans stocks them in the International Food section. I don't know why. I'd definitely recommend them if you like shrimp. Happy snacking all!

No comments: