Tuesday, March 05, 2013

New 1 mg Generic Propecia Available in the U.S.

Yesterday, I drove to the Arundel Mills Costco Warehouse to pick up my latest 90 day prescription refill of Propecia. The pharmacist at the counter informed me they'd given me a new generic propecia. The only generic I knew of was Proscar which is Finasteride in 5mg tablets. I never used Proscar because, I didn't want to mess with splitting the tablets into 4 pieces with a pill splitter. Supposedly Proscar was cheaper but, it wasn't worth the hassle to me.

The new generic made my Dr. Reddy's Laboratories in possibly India comes in 1mg doses like Propecia though the pills are a different color and smaller. Price wise, the generic has considerable savings. My refill cost $150.74 saving me over $57 for a 90 day supply. That amounts to over $228 a year! I was delighted with the savings.

Later, I found an article dated 3 January 2013 announcing beginning of sales of the product (http://www.fool.com/investing/businesswire/2013/01/03/dr-reddys-announces-the-launch-of-finasteride-tabl.aspx) in the U.S. on 2 January 2013. The article gives a few particulars like the size of the Propecia market in the U.S. though I don't know if they took into account those who were taking Proscar for hair loss prevention.

The big issue is the savings for Propecia users and, the knowledge they will be able to get a product that is unquestionably is what it says it is. If you bought a generic Propecia from a foreign pharmaceutical concern like I did 1 time, you couldn't be sure you were actually getting the genuine product. Presumably, with the generic Propecia made by Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Propecia users can rest assured they're getting genuine Finasteride in the prescribed dose. NOTE: Propecia users must still have a doctors prescription to get the generic Propecia. Also, pregnant women should avoid any contact with the generic Propecia just like the regular Propecia.

Update December 7, 2013: Today, I posted a new article about a 2nd generic Propecia entering the U.S. market. It's made by Camber Pharmaceuticals Incorporated and is apparently cheaper than the generic put out by Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited. See my article for further information.

3 comments:

Viknesh said...

Hi have you encountered any side effects after using propecia?

Viknesh said...

Hi, have you encountered any side effects?

Ditto said...

I haven't encountered any side effects Viknesh. I would presume any side effects would be the same ones you'd have with regular Propecia. It's the same drug.