Sunday, March 10, 2013

Moved Out

My crazy moving adventure finally finished today sort of. I still have to find a permanent place to live but, I'm not in any hurry. The Extended Stay Hotel in Jessup, Maryland that I'm staying at is very nice. I can cook food on the room's 2 burner stove top and store items that have to stay cold or frozen in the full refrigerator. The fast free WiFi in my room rocks!

Concerning my move, it has been a series of adventures and learning experiences. I never realized I had so much stuff. I always thought my 2 bedroom apartment was small. I managed to fill 2 7 1/2 feet by 10 feet storage units at EZ Storage with me using a 3rd (5 ft by 10 ft) unit till I figure out where to put that stuff in the other 2 units.

The biggest problem I had with my move was my job at the post office. I couldn't get time off to work on my move. I was supposed to have 2 days off this past week and, I got called back to the post office both days. This made it impossible for me to finish moving my remaining stuff myself. I ended up calling Original Moving and Storage Inc. a 2nd time so, I could get my remaining stuff out of my now former apartment in time.

Another headache I had was my former apartment being on the 3rd floor and, my former apartment complex doesn't have elevators. So, EVERY box had to be carried down 2 flights of stairs and out to my car. I did well to get 2 loads out to EZ Storage every Sunday and 2 more on Presidents Day.

Still, I was saddened a bit when I turned over the apartment key and the mailbox key to Melissa Napper, one the apartment complex managers. I lived at Camden Russett (was Summit Russett) for over 11 years. I haven't lived at any other address as long. I did the last years of my Air Force career while living there and started a new career with U.S. Postal Service (USPS). The transition was very scary and, I suffered a number of disappointments before finally ending up at the USPS.

The move in 1 way is more than an ordinary move. It's closing the Air Force chapter of my life though I'll always be Air Force Blue. You can't forget something that took up over half your life (26 years). I suspect I'll always address superiors as Sir or Ma'am. Now, I really will get to make my way in my Post Air Force life. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Ditto!