Monday, February 01, 2010

Map Updates

Yesterday, I found out there was a map update for my Garmin Nuvi 750 GPS. So, I started downloading the massive thing. It was 2.06 gigabytes and incredibly, the file was compressed. I don't have any idea how large it would be uncompressed. I didn't have to pay for the update as I'd bought lifetime map update downloads. It's cheaper that way but, you have to download them vice getting an easy CD or DVD (not sure which they use). My Internet connection isn't super slow but, it still takes a good while to download a 2 gigabyte plus file. After you download it, you have decompress it and install it on the unit. Installing the map update can take up to 2 hours. Overall, it is a bit of pain installing updates but, the unit has been really handy at times. It'll tell me how long it'll take for me to arrive at a set destination, when I need to make various turns and automatically recalibrate a new route if I miss a turn for whatever reasons. Also, it's handy when I get the itch to go exploring. I'll just drive down a road to see where it goes. More often than not, I get lost but, the GPS ensures I can find my way home. I've been very glad I bought the thing. Cheers all!

No comments: