Saturday, February 06, 2010

Snow Update

Here is my first update on the snowstore that socked Maryland. The snow started falling sometime around Noon. Initially, it was very light and a lot of it melted on the roads. Around 4 p.m., the snow started falling more heavily and by 5 p.m., there was 2 to 3 inches of accumulation. The snow continued to fall heavily during the night.
I tried gauging how the snow was from my apartment but, my apartment windows were partly covered with it so, I bundled up and walked out into it. At 6 a.m., I found my apartment complex parking lot had at least 17 inches of snow. Some areas around my apartment building have 23 inches plus. I walked up to the Maryland 198 road to see if it had been plowed. It had though there was only 1 stretch that was passable. There wasn't any traffic on it at that time. A good wind was blowing that blustery at times. According to the National Weather Service (NWS) (http://weather.gov), there will be gusts as high as 35 mph today.
The NWS is predicting the snow will continue to fall heavily until this evening with the possibility of another 4 to 8 inches of snow. In my opinion, people should stay home and off the roads if they can. The conditions are really bad right now. Stay tuned for more updates. Cheers!

No comments: