Monday, November 02, 2009

Arlington National Cemetary

Yesterday, I visited Arlington National Cemetary. I first visited in during my July Globus Historic U.S. East tour. While there, I failed to get some decent photos so I decided to go back and try again. My Garmin GPS proved priceless in finding the place. Thanks to that, I was able to drive there in about 35 minutes. The first thing I did once I got there was take some pictures fo the USMC War Memorial. The memorial is located just outside the cemetary. It is a very impressive memorial. It features bronze statues of 5 Marines and 1 Navy medic raising the flag on Mount Suribachi, Iwo Jima. The flag raising immortalized the Marines. It is a magnificent memorial.
Inside the cemetary are countless rows of white marble crosses marking the graves of soldiers, sailors, marines and coasties who have died in service to their country. Many veterans ask that when they die, they be buried at Arlington. You can see why if you ever visit the place. I know when I die, I want to be buried there.
One thing I didn't get to do when I visited with Globus was see the Tombs of the Unknowns. We had a lot of things to see in D.C. and a limited amount of time. The Tombs of the Unknowns are the remains of military members who were killed in World War I, II, the Korean War and Vietnam and couldn't be identified. On the main tomb at the end of the epitaph, it says "known only to God." That is how it is for the these unknown troops who gave the final measure of service to their country. A lone sentry patrols the tombs standing guard, day and night. Immaculately uniformed, they march back and forth guarding the tombs. I found it a moving sight.
My last stop was to see President John F. Kennedy's gravesite. Few men have spoken such inspirational words as he did. I still think it tragic how he died. With him, I can't help but wonder how things might've been if he had lived. Next to him is his wife Jackie Onassis who epitomized class and style of the time. Close by are his 2 brothers Robert and Ted. Robert is another one you have to wonder what if. Why did he have to die?
I left Arlington in somber reflection. In my opinion, there isn't any more sacred ground in the entire United States. It is filled with the remains of those who placed their country above themselves and some gave their lives for it. It is the burial place of many of its military heroes. It is a deeply moving reminder of the price this country has had to pay to stay free.

No comments: