Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Scooter Update

I took my new Yamaha scooter for its first real ride yesterday. I wanted to start getting the hang of riding it. It's been years since I rode any kind of bike so, I wasn't use to leaning into turns. Yesterday, thanks to the ride, I started to get the hang of it. Also, I started exploring the area around where I live. I'd like to figure out a way to reach some of the major malls in the area. One limitation of the scooter is you can't ride on roads that have a speed limit higher than 50 mph. That'll make it tricky trying to reach Columbia Mall or Arundel Mills Mall. Still, if I stay on local roads, I may be able to do it. We'll see on that.
The scooter is still having problems idling. I've gotten really good at starting the thing. I've gotten the hang of using the turn signals on it and, I was able to get the mirrors set up to where I can see if there are cars behind me or to either side. I've found the compartment where I can put my helmet spacious. I haven't tried to put my helmet in it yet to see if it'll fit in there. I'm not to sure how secure the compartment is. I plan to try riding the scooter with a backpack soon. I want to see how much resistance I get then. A backpack would enable me to do some limited shopping. That would be a help as I could do minor shopping trips using the scooter saving wear and tear on my car. We'll how well that works.
Overall, I've been pretty pleased with the scooter. It runs well and seems sturdy enough. Also, it looks nice. With rising gas prices, it should save me some money during Spring, Summer and Fall. Once I get the rear tire replaced and the idling problem fixed, the scooter should be good to go. If it continues to be fun to ride, I'll see about getting a faster one next year. Cheers all!

No comments: