Monday, May 25, 2009

Casey's Crab Co.

I said in an earlier post that I would blog about this store. Here goes. Casey's Crab Co. is located on Maryland 198 (heading toward Laurel) just up from the Maryland 198 & Maryland 32 overpass. As the store's name implies, they sell crabs live or steamed. They also sell shrimp, fish & chips, devilled eggs and some other seafood items and as well as shaved ice cups. They have something 20 different flavors of shaved ice. I tried their root beer and found it all right. I thought it reasonably priced. I think the large one I had cost around $2.50.
Seafood wise, I tried their fish & chips, their shrimp salad and their steamed shrimp. Casey's advertise that they have the best fish & chips in Laurel. I wonder if that's because no else claims that title. I wasn't wiped out with the fish though I thought it decent. It looked like a flat fish slab that had been breaded. It was decent but, it wasn't anything to get excited about. The fries on the other hand were tasty. I presume they season them with crab seasoning. They're not your standard crisp McDonald like fries but, I still think they are good. The portion you get with the fish is decent. Casey's offers daily specials and one of them is their fish & chips so you can save some money on this by going there on the day it's on special.
Their shrimp salad was good. The shrimp in it were of very good size and, it was tasty. The only drawback to their shrimp salad is it is pricey. I believe it was something like $17 a pound. Still, it is better than other shrimp salads out there like the one you can buy at Sam's Club which isn't nearly as good. The shrimp in that salad are almost microscopic.
I was able to find a couple coupons for Casey's in the Clipper Magazine which is a flier that comes out in various places including Laurel. There was a coupon offering extra large shrimp for $5.99 a pound no limit. I decided to take advantage of the offer and bought 6 pounds. I was eating their shrimp for days. Casey's will steam and season your shrimp order for free. As the shell is still on the shrimp, in my opinion, it is questionable how much seasoning flavor you'll get. Also, you will have to peel the shells off the shrimp which is messy and tedious. Still, I found the shrimp tasty, of good size and I thought the price was good with the coupon. I believe they were on par with what Sam's Club sells as jumbo shrimp though I believe Sam's were peeled.
Overall, I thought Casey's a decent place. It isn't anything to go out of your way for unless you're really hungry for crabs you want to eat at home. They do have a convenient location in that they are close to the Maryland 198 and Maryland 32 intersection. The service was excellent and the prices reasonable. If you're looking for a good seafood store in Laurel, Maryland, you might want to give them a look. Cheers all!

No comments: