Thursday, November 06, 2008

Roman Aqueduct
This is the Roman aqueduct on the Pont du Gard. The Romans built the aqueduct between 30 and 15 B.C. It was built to bring water from the mountains to the city of Nimes. The aqueduct had a slight decline that helped the water flow down the aqueduct till it reached the city. Amazingly, the Roman got the slight decline right and the aqueduct worked beautifully for 400 YEARS! I say amazingly because the feeds into the aqueduct and the aqueduct itself ran for miles. The Romans managed to calculate the slight decline without the use of computers or any other sophisticated tools. It is truly a marvel of engineering and the skill of the Romans as builders.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

It wasn't long ago that I watched a program on the History channel about this, Ditto. They did some truly amazing things back then, didn't they?

It's refreshing to come to a blog that isn't about politics. Being a political blogger I'm getting pretty sick of politics right now. I'm sure I don't have to tell you why! *sigh*

Thanks for visiting my blog and throwing in your thoughts. You are always welcome there.

My husband is a retired Army Warrant Officer. He spent 20 years in the military. I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Blessings!

Ditto said...

Thank you Gayle for your kind comments. Yes, the Romans did some pretty impressive things. When I visited Lyon, France, I got to see the remains of a Roman amphitheater. I'll eventually post a picture on that too. I'm slowly telling of the 2 week tour of France I did with Globus in mid-September. It was an awesome tour. Also, I'm counting down the days till I go on a tour of Egypt with Globus. Only 114 days to go. I can't wait.

I can understand your comment about politics. I won't mention those on my blog because it can get so nasty. I keep my blog generally light. I blog about my travels, work at the Post Office, my French lessons and other assorted stuff.

Concerning your blog, I very much enjoy it. I think you do a very nice job and show considerable class dealing with some of the lefties. They can be unreal. How they can believe the stuff they say is beyond me.

Kudos to your husband on his service. I confess I miss the Air Force. Life was a lot easier then. The Civilian world is a lot crazier. I am grateful to the Air Force for the travel I got to do, my pension and the health plans they've provided me with. 2 years ago, I came down with gall stones. If it weren't for my military retirement health plan, I would've had to pay over $9,000! Thanks to the plan, I paid $40. I seriously counted my blessings.

Thanks for your comments. I hope to hear from you again. Cheers!