Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Commissary

One of the benefits you receive in the military is being able to shop at the base commissary (supermarket). This benefit continues when you retire as in my case. I can't say I've been terribly appreciative of this benefit as I rarely have to watch the pennies when I go grocery shopping. I've seen the sign at the entrance to the commissary saying how much things were cheaper in each of its departments vice what it would cost you off base but, the numbers don't really click. They don't show in hard dollars how much of a difference there can be. Yesterday, I got to see it in dollars and cents. Recently, I bought some Ferrero Rochers chocolates and Tostito tortilla chips flavored with a hint of lime at a local Safeway supermarket. I was curious to see how much cheaper they'd be at the commissary. I found out there was a big difference. The Ferrero Rochers were over 60 cents cheaper for a 5.3 ounce package. The Tostito chips were over a $1 a bag cheaper. Also. packaged luncheon meat is cheaper though I can't give hard price differences there. I was a able to buy a 1 pound package of Louis Rich turkey bologna for $1.25 at the commissary. I believe it would be at least 50 cents higher at Safeway. So, I got to count my blessings for being able to shop there. I probably saved at least $10 or $15 which can make a difference. I'll have to make an effort to go to the commissary more often. The reason I don't go there that often is because it's a hassle going through base security. Plus, it reminds me of my former military life. I still miss it. It's been over 3 years now since I retired from the Air Force. Oh well. I suppose I'll get use to civilian life in time though, I don't like it as much as the military life. There is definitely a lot more bs in the civilian world. Cheers all!

No comments: