Saturday, November 22, 2008

Crazy Truck

I had some bad luck truck wise today at the Post Office. The truck that is normally assigned to the route I did was out for maintenance. Because of that, I had to get a different truck that wasn't being used. Thanks to some open routes on the city side, that wasn't a problem. What was a problem were some of the things wrong with the truck. The first thing I found out that didn't work was the tailgate on the truck. I put the truck into to it to unlock it and raise it and it wouldn't unlock. Because of I was anxious to get on the street, I let this go though it would be a real nuisance to have to make my way through the mail in the back of the truck to the tailgate to open from inside. The second problem I ran into was in regards to truck going in reverse. Depending on the level of the ground, the truck at times wouldn't reverse. This was a major problem when I got within 4 inches of a car. There wasn't any way I could steer around the car. Finally, I put the truck in neutral and physically pushed it back. I had to do this twice. After that, if a situation came up where it looked like I might have to reverse, I avoided it. Instead, I'd stop the truck parallel to the box, get out of the truck and put the mail in the box. It took a little longer but, it avoided any further hassles with the truck. Thankfully, I didn't have any other problems with the truck and, I was able to get back to the Post Office before the truck taking the outgoing mail left. I hope I don't have to use that truck again.

No comments: