Sunday, November 02, 2008

French Lesson 2

Today, I attended my second French lesson at the Alliance Francaise in Washington D.C. Due to my laziness and procrastination, I was able to turn in only half my homework. I expected to finish the grammar homework at the Alliance but, my teacher Nadya was already there. Crap! At least, I had the 4 sentences I had to write in French done.
During the lesson, I learned more ways for French to confuse me when listening to it. We practiced direct French pronouns like me, te, le and la. If I wanted to say "I met Jacques" but, I didn't want to say his name again, I could say "Je le ai rencontre." (the last e of rencontre would be hyphenated). In English, this translates to "I met him."
Also, I discovered how diplomatic the French can be. In English, we call our in-laws father-in-law, mother-in-law, sister-in-law etc. The French are more kind in their names of their in-laws. For example, father-in-law in French le beau pere which means the handsome father. Mother-in-law in French is la belle mere which means the beautiful mother. You can see how the French are diplomatic as they give nice names to people they otherwise might dislike. I found it funny.
I find myself wishing I could do more lessons but, that isn't possible. My work hours remain very unpredictable at the Post Office and, there is the cost. French lessons are one of a number of things I want to do. There are the two tours I'll be taking next July with Globus. Also, there is a new Yamaha scooter I look forward to getting. Lastly, I'll need spending money for Egypt. Because of all those things, I plan to work a lot at the Post Office when I can. Still, the lessons are fun and I definitely plan to continue to them. Salut!

No comments: