Friday, May 30, 2008

Periodontist

Wednesday, I got to see Dr. Ronnie Jones at the Batz & Weiner Dentistry. Dr. Jones is their resident periodontist. A periodontist is a dentist that specializes in gum disease and gum surgery. I'd seen Dr. Jones previously because my gums became seriously infected. I haven't flossed like I should AND I didn't get my teeth cleaned regularly like I should've. Dr. Jones had to descale my teeth. What that is where they go into each root of each tooth and clean out all the built up tartar and infection. It was an expensive and long procedure. After that, I was supposed to see Dr. Jones every 6 months but I opted for every 3. I figured I could keep the tartar and any possible infection under control that way even with my poor record for flossing. So, I got to see Dr. Jones Wednesday. The news wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. None of my teeth were in really bad shape and most were in good shape. There was some minor bleeding in the gums which indicates that I had some minor infection in some teeth. If I got off my lazy duff and flossed more, there wouldn't be any. I'll try to floss more though it is a real hassle. I'll get to see Dr. Jones again the end of September.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude that's a pretty gross and indepth explanation of your gum disease.

Ditto said...

In reply to anonymous, I didn't intend to gross anyone out by it. I was just stating how it was. It was bad though it could've been worse. Gum disease can cause people to lose teeth. Fortunately for me, I saw the Periodontist in time and the descaling worked though it was a nasty procedure. I won't go into any more graphic details. Maybe by folks reading how bad it is on my blog, they'll floss more so they can avoid having to go through the same procedure or worse, losing some of their teeth.