Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Trip Preparation

I've begun getting my scuba diving equipment together for my trip to the Caribbean. As previously mentioned, this will be the first time I'll have travelled with the stuff. It's a bit of a challenge because you have figure out what exactly to take. Some scuba diving equipment is very heavy ex. weights and because of weight limits you don't want to take those. You're not allowed to bring some equipment on board planes. I found out I can't check in my spare air tank because you're not allowed to check pressurized air tanks. My travel agent told me one person did that one time and the tank exploded causing the plane to crash. In regards to the stuff you can take with you, once you take, you're going to be lugging it with you the whole trip. So, do you really need that anchor line finder? Are you going to need a wreck reel? Will you need an underwater flashlight? Scuba diving equipment tends to be expensive so you don't want to leave something behind and then have to buy it again at a local dive shop. Some equipment uses batteries. You have to make sure the batteries are still good though you might want to replace them to be on the safe side. You don't want the batteries to die while you're diving or have to go in search of batteries in some foreign country. Lastly, you need to remember to bring your certification cards and dive log. The cards are necessary to prove you're qualified to dive. The dive log is important so you can prove later that you did the dives you said you did. When I show up to do 2 dives in Aruba, they require proof that I've dived in the last two years. My dive log will be my proof as it'll show where I did my 2 check dives and have the signature of the divemaster that accompanied me on the dives. For me, all this is new and challenging. Yet, it is exciting too. I can't wait to see underwater world in the Caribbean.

No comments: