Tuesday, March 25, 2008

St. Maarten

I looked forward to playing the proper tourist. Unlike Aruba and Curacao, I wouldn’t be rushing off to go diving in St. Maarten. After having a filling breakfast at the Windjammer Café, Harvey and I took an elevator down to deck 1, had our SeaPasses scanned and departed the ship. We looked for and found the person holding the sign saying deep sea fishing. Once the entire group of 12 got together, he gave us some bad news. The second fishing boat had broken down. They found a replacement but it would be 30 minutes before he arrived. He needed 6 volunteers to go in the later boat. I didn’t care to wait and said so. Luckily for me and Harvey, they got enough volunteers for the second boat.

The man herded us to the spot where we could board taxis. He told the taxi driver where to take us. He told us that the boat captain would drop us off at the cruise ship pier after the fishing. The taxi ride was a short one. We arrived at a marina that had a number of fishing boats. A lady guided us to ours. It was the Natalie Kate which was owned and operated by Captain Paul (last name unknown). Captain Paul told us the boat’s previous owner had named the boat after his daughter. Captain Paul for whatever reasons didn’t change it.

The boat had spaces for 5 rod and reels as well as a seat where whoever got a hit could battle the fish. After Captain Paul explained where the bathroom was, drinks were and that the guest cabin was air conditioned, we departed. We didn’t have to go far out from St. Maarten before we got to start fishing. Captain Paul used outriggers for 4 of the rods so presumably their lines wouldn’t get tangled with each other. Then, he informed us to look for birds. Where seabirds were feeding, there you find big fish feeding also. So, I began looking for seabirds.

After about 30 or 40 minutes we found one and sure enough, we got a massive hit on one of the rods. It was the smallest rod with the lightest line. Captain Paul cursed a bit over that. I helped push the youngest member of our group a kid of maybe 12 or 13 into the command chair. The kid wasn’t strong enough at times to battle the fish so Captain Paul helped him. It would take over 20 minutes before the fish was landed. It was a Mahi Mahi which weighed over 17 pounds and was around 4 feet long. It was an impressive fish. We didn’t know it but that would be the only fish we’d catch the whole time we were out.

Everyone got excited after that fish and looked forward to catching more. However, luck wasn’t with us. We looked every where for birds and saw only a few single ones barring some that were following a fishing boat. Captain Paul tried a number of different areas without any success. Our time out ran out and we had to head in. I know I was very disappointed. I’d paid $200 and didn’t get to catch anything. I thought this stunk.

As previously mentioned, we were told that we would be dropped off at the cruise ship pier. Captain Paul said on our way in he never dropped anyone off there. He said we’d have to take a taxi back and I got the impression he wasn’t going to pay for it. I didn’t bring any money with me because I didn’t think I was going to need any. The folks running this fishing trip were responsible for getting us to the fishing boat and back. Harvey asked how far it was to the cruise ship pier. We were told it was a little over a mile. We looked at each other and started walking. By the time we got to the pier, we were both royally steamed. We checked out some of the souvenir shops at the pier, looked at the Noordam which was also in pier and re-boarded our boat. I was so disgusted over what had happened that I decided not to see anymore of St. Maarten. Instead, I had some lunch and waited for us to depart. When departure time came, I watched as the ship maneuvered away from the pier and set sail for Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. I looked forward to seeing St. Thomas as I’d be able to access the internet from my laptop and could get some more dollars from an ATM there. I hoped things would be nicer there than they had in St. Maarten. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having a good time!!!! You will love St. Thomas. Try to visit Coki Beach and Trunk Bay. YOu need to take a ferry over to St. John to visit trunk Bay. Have Fun!!!!!!!!