Friday, March 07, 2008

Messed Up

I messed up yesterday. I should've taken the day off so I could've taken my time getting ready for my trip. Instead, I did a full day's work at the Post Office. To make matters worse there, the direct-to-point service (DPS) mail was over an hour and a half late. That caused me to be over an hour late hitting the street. I finished work at the Post Office around 5:45 p.m. I dashed home, had something to eat quickly, loaded my car with my diving gear and drove to Columbia Scuba (see previous blog entry). To be on the safe side, I decided to buy an extra mask strap and a couple extra fin straps. I was surprised to find out the fin straps cost $10 a piece. Ouch! I also decided to buy some electrical ties so I could secure my diving bag. I don't want anyone to help themselves to my diving equipment. The stuff is very expensive.
After that, I had to do laundry which took another 90 minutes. I finished packing around 10:15 p.m. and hit the road at 10:30. It took an hour to reach the hotel I was going to stay at. The one benefit I had for leaving so late was no traffic on Maryland 295 and the D.C. 495 Orbital. I got a shock when I found out I had to pay 2 tolls to get to my hotel. It's located off one of the few Virginia toll roads.
The hotel my travel agent recommended turned out to be very nice. Sadly, I didn't get to enjoy it much as I had to be at Dulles at 6:15 a.m. Considering how much sleep I've had, I'm surprisingly coherent. I suspect I'm going to sleep like a log when I get to San Juan. We'll see. That's all for this update. I'll post another when I arrive in San Juan, Puerto Rico for the first time. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've just described every last work day before a vacation that I've had at the PO. Gosh, I hate it when the DPS is late.

Have a good trip!

Ditto said...

Thanks Jim. Thursday was supposed to be light but because of the late DPS, it ended up being a real pain.

In regards to the trip, I'm hearing lots of good things on Royal Caribbean cruise line. A guy that was sitting next to me on the flight out was going on a cruise with a different line. He said he wish he was going with Royal Caribbean. He went on a cruise with them to Alaska and he had a great time. We'll see how it goes.