Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's at the Castle

Normally, I don't stay up to celebrate the new year. It has never been anything worth celebrating to me. However, yesterday I got to celebrate New Year's at the Medieval Times I work because I was scheduled to work there. The preparations for the New Year's bash had begun well in advance. The castle ordered feathery things with New Year's 2007 on them for the bar and serving wenches. They looked like something you might see on a Vegas showgirl. They also ordered cases of some kind of champagne and party favors. The day before the big bash, they had one of my co-workers come in and help fill up something like 150 ballons for the ballon drop. The kitchen staff was kept busy preparing all the carrot and celery sticks, orange and pineapple pieces, broccoli and cauliflower chunks, pieces of cantalope and watermelon, and cucumber and bell pepper slices for the appetizer tables. The day of the bash, I helped them prepare the tables for those items. We also put out small plates, forks and knapkins.
The bash began 8 p.m. when the castle opened for those coming for the event. People began arriving before the gates opened. We ended up having over 600 people celebrate New Year's at the castle. The people tore into the appetizers while they waited for the regular show. It was a bit weird to think that we working the last show of 2006. The show and dinner went fine. At the end of the show, the serving staff gave out noise makers and party crackers. Afterwards, the customers walked back out into the gift show and Hall of Arms (where all the suits of armor are) and sipped champagne while they watched the last 30 minutes of 2006 slip by.
At midnight, the cast of the show fired confetti into the crowd and caused the balloon filled nets to open. People popped the balloons and continued to drink champagne. For myself, I enjoyed some apple juice since I had to drive home and I never drink and drive. I also ate a few donuts they put out for the customers. I thought the castle did a nice job for the bash though like previous years, the event itself didn't excite me. Big whoop! 2007 has begun. Ho hum. I hope 2007 is better than 2006. We'll see. For all of you who read this blog, may your 2007 be better than 2006 and help you fulfill all your dreams. Cheers!

No comments: