Thursday, January 11, 2007

Castle Social Event

This past Tuesday night, I went to a social event the Baltimore Medieval Times castle had for its employees. The castle management holds various social events during the year. This gives a chance for employees to socialize and is a way for the castle to pay its employees back for their hard work. Some of these events are very casual while others are more formal. The Tuesday event was more formal in that it was a dress up occasion. Men were expected to wear suits and ties or tuxedos and women were expected to wear gowns. The event was held at the Fountaine Bleu in Glen Burnie, Maryland. The Fountaine Blue is part of a chain of halls that cater for special events such as ours. They provided a full buffet, bar and DJ.
The event started at 7 p.m. Castle employees had to have an invitation which they presented to Jessica (retail manager) who made sure they were on the list of castle employees. After that, the employees were welcome to find a table, set their coats down, get a drink at the bar and make themselves a salad or have a bowl of Maryland crab soup. At 8 p.m., the main course buffet was opened. It featured ham, chicken breast in some kind of white sauce and beef stroganoff with potatoes and green beans. I found the chicken breast to be particularly good.
Around 9:30 p.m., the DJ started warming up the dance floor. This was a particularly amusing aspect of the night as the castle has some real dance animals among its members. A person who works in gift shop by the name of Alvarado particularly distinguished himself by giving John Travolta a run for his money. Also, our own operations manager was hilarious as he did some slick moves on the dance floor. For yours truly, I was content to watch the action but, our HR and promotions ladies weren't going to let me get away without dancing. They summarily got me out on the dance floor and kept me there for at least 10 minutes. It was the first time I'd danced in over 10 years. To say the least, I was very nervous. I managed not to embarrass myself too badly with my two left feet. Later, I did a nice slow dance with a girl who works in Sound & Lighting occasionally.
Overall, I thought the event was really nice. Castle management picked a nice place to hold it and the Fountaine Bleu folks did their best so castle employees really enjoyed themselves. The food was excellent as was the service. The DJ played a good mix of music and helped people loosen up. I think everyone had a nice time. I'm not sure what the next social event will be though whatever it is, I definitely plan to attend it. It was fun mingling with my fellow employees a the castle.

No comments: