Wednesday, December 27, 2006

News at My End of the Woods

My friend Harvey pointed out to me that I needed to update my blog. I spoke with him on the 26th and he pointed out that on my blog, I had a marquee saying "two weeks till Christmas." Oops! I confess I've been very busy the last couple weeks. Here's why:
Post Office
I've been working 40 hours plus a week at the Post Office. We've been loaded down with packages (presumably Christmas presents) and catalogs. People sometimes slam the Post Office but they really do try to serve their customers. I worked this past Sunday delivering gifts that had arrived at the last minute. We also had a sub come in on Christmas day and deliver express mail. Things should slow down now that the Christmas rush is over. I continue to slog away at the job and feel I continue to improve. I still don't know if I'll stay long enough to get my own route. The pay, benefits and job security are very appealing but, I'll have to wait a long time to get them. We'll see what happens here.
Medieval Times
I've continued to enjoy my job in sound & lighting. I really like playing the role of castle guard and I continue to find operating the spotlight a challenge. I've earned kudos from various folks because I strive to go beyond the minimum. I'm always willing to have my picture taken with customers or their kids. I try to answer any of the customers questions and I strive to ensure they have an enjoyable experience at Medieval Times. It seems some of the bosses have noticed. I know my supervisor is very pleased with me. This week promises to be hectic at the castle as we have two shows every day till New Year's Eve. We also have a New Year's Eve show at 9:30 p.m. I'll get to work the castle that night and will bring in the new year there. It'll be my first time to do that and it should be interesting. For any squire wannabes, I've heard a rumor that the castle is short squires so now might be a good time to apply. The job is demanding and you must be in good physical shape. You do a lot of running and you constantly hustling during the show. Still, you get to be in the show and if you show you have the right stuff, it could be your ticket to becoming a knight in the show. If you're interested, see the folks at the ticket counter for an application.
French
Since I received the Rosetta Stone software I ordered, I've made it a point to study some French every day. I feel I'm making progress though I am getting kicked a bit with the written part. It can be very difficult to catch everything when they speak the various phrases. You really have to listen to catch everything so you can figure out exactly what the speaker is saying. I continue to be really pleased with Rosetta Stone's software. It really does a nice job of teaching whatever language you want to learn.
Airmiles
When I've had some free time, I've dined out and played the airmile game. By my calculations, I'm short about 7,000 airmiles so I can get a free ticket from Baltimore Washington International (BWI) Airport to Newark Liberty Airport. I should be able to earn the airmiles and get my free ticket. I've also made a down payment on the Scandanavia tour. So far, every thing looks good for me getting to go. Hopefully, it'll happen.
Conclusion
That's all at my end. I'm doing all right and have found the faith to leave my worries in God's hands. I don't know what the future will bring but feel confident that God will ensure things work out. Hopefully, 2007 will be a better year than 2006. We'll see. Cheers all!

No comments: