Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Trader Joe's Rooibos & Honeybush Tea Review

I haven't written a review on a Trader Joe's product in a while so, I thought I'd do one.

Around March 13th of this year, Trader Joe's came out with a new product called Rooibos & Honeybush tea. The tea combines 2 traditional South African teas - Rooibos and Honeybush. Both are supposed to have a slightly sweet taste with the honeybush the sweeter of the two. Rooibos helps provide healthy antioxidants while having none of the caffeine of real tea.

Price wise, Trader Joe's is selling a 20 tea bag box of the tea for $2.49 in Maryland. According to the post they posted (http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/organic-fairtrade-rooibos-honeybush-tea), prices may be different in other parts of the United States.

Brewing time (per one of the tea bags in the box I bought) is 6 minutes for 1 tea bag, 8 minutes for a pot of the tea (put in 1 tea bag per person and 1 for the pot).

Taste wise, I didn't think the tea tasted much different from a straight up Rooibos tea. I found I like Trader Joe's Spiced Rooibos (also known as Ruby Red Chai) better though they may have stopped making their Spiced Rooibos (I haven't been able to find it in 2 different stores in Maryland).

Lastly, the tea is organic and Fair trade i.e. South African farmers are paid a fair wage for its production.

Overall, I thought this is a decent product though not a great one. There are other Rooibos teas out there that are just as good so, I wouldn't go out of your way to get this product. Happy sipping all!

No comments: