Saturday, February 01, 2014

Twining's Rooibos Tea Review

Before I begin on my review, I feel I should mention that I like Twining's tea a lot. I first tried them while I was stationed in England with the United States Air Force. I got to visit at least twice their original store on 216 The Strand, London, England which was opened in 1706 and, I still have the Royal Spode tea cup/mug and saucer I bought from that store. They are a very British tea company and, they make great teas.

Twining's rooibos tea is a fine product in their product line. Their rooibos tea comes from the Cedarberg Mountains in South Africa. Rooibos tea is interesting in that for centuries, South Africans made a bush tea from the plant's leaves (Source: Wikipedia). Dutch settlers in South Africa used the bush tea as an alternative to the expensive black tea which had to come from ships in Europe. Since the 1930's, the tea has taken off. The tea doesn't contain any caffeine and, it's naturally high in antioxidants (Source: Wikipedia).

Twining's rooibos tea is red is like all rooibos teas. I feel it has a brash taste like their English breakfast tea but without the caffeine as I previously noted. Cost wise, Wegmans sells a 20 bag box of the tea for $2.99. You can get the tea for the same price on Twining's U.S. website store but, you'll have to pay shipping.

Overall, I was very pleased with this tea. Thanks for to it not having any caffeine, it's one I can drink in the afternoon without having to worry about it keeping me up. The potential health benefits (see the Wikipedia article) are an added plus. If you like herbal teas, this tea is worth trying out. It's a very good one. Happy drinking all!

No comments: