Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sogel Fresh Cooked Mussels Review

While shopping at the Laurel, Maryland Sam's Club, I stumbled upon a product I hadn't seen before. It's Sogel's Fresh Cooked Mussels. As I like mussels, I decided to try them.

The mussels come precooked in 2 one pound bags. You can heat them up 2 ways: 1) you can boil 1 of the bags for 4 to 5 minutes in rapidly boiling water and let cool for 1 minute or 2) you can microwave on high 1 of the bags for 3 to 4 minutes and let cool for 1 minute. If you microwave the mussels, you must cut 3 small punctures in the bag to let steam escape.

The mussels come in a garlic butter sauce which is pretty good. They must be refrigerated at all times between 34 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit (1.1 to 3.3 Celsius). The mussels are grown on ropes on Prince Edwards Island, Canada. Cost wise, the Laurel, Maryland Sam's Club I bought them at sold a box (2 bags) for $9.98 U.S.

Overall, I was very pleased with this product. I really like mussels and, this was a very easy way (I microwaved the ones I tried) to have some. Price wise, I think they're very reasonably priced though I'm not an expert on what imported mussels are selling for. If you like mussels and would like a very easy way to have some, I heartily recommend you try this product. Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too found them at Sam's club. They were small and had an excellent taste. I will definitely buy them again. My husband just loved them.