Friday, June 21, 2013

Yamaha TMAX V-Belt Change

Recently, I got a nasty surprise concerning my Yamaha TMAX motorbike. I finally put over 12,500 miles on my bike. At that point, you're supposed to get the v-belt checked on the bike and replaced if needed. The v-belt is critical to the bike as it's what changes gears on the bike vice the rider doing it. I found out the v-belt will cost you roughly $198 alone and, it'll take at least 2 hours of labor to have them replace it. Also, it sounded like it's pretty standard to replace the belt every 12,500 miles. So, any TMAX riders will be in for a hefty service bill when they hit 12,500 miles. Barring the v-belt, the service charges on the bike haven't been too bad. Oil and filter changes won't be cheap because the stuff is so jammed in there on the bike. I remember when I had to get the battery changed on my TMAX. That's when I found out how complicated things can be on the TMAX. To change a battery on a car is nothing but, on the TMAX, they have to take off the mirrors, the windshield and the face place just to be able to get to the battery! With the v-belt, it would be worse as they have to get to the engine and take it apart.

FYI, on a different subject concerning the TMAX, Yamaha realized its 2014 motorbike line-up in the United States. To my surprise, they're still selling the 2011 version of the TMAX. Yamaha has come up with an updated version of the bike which they're selling in Europe where they increased the power of the engine by 30cc's. Big whoop in my opinion. I still hope Yamaha will eventually come out with a 750cc version of the TMAX. Until then, I don't think it's worth whiled for any TMAX owners to trade it their 499cc TMAX for the 530cc version.

5 comments:

obakesan said...

for what its worth I change the belt myself and it takes about 3 hours in total. I've got a 2002 model and I've put on a few belts. Each time they look perfect and I ask myself why I'm putting on a new one.

There is lots of plastic and stuff to get off to get there so its not surprising that its long on labor, however its pretty easy stuff for anyone even remotely mechanically inclined.

Best Wishes

:-)

Unknown said...

Where i can buy it ?

Unknown said...

Where i can buy only belt itself ?

Ditto said...

In reply to 2000darkball, I would suggest a motorbike parts department. They might be able to order one for you.

Ditto said...

In reply to Obakesan, I'm not remotely mechanically inclined. I'd rather the motorbike dealership mess with it than me. Also, where I'm currently living, I don't have a garage to leave my TMAX while it's in pieces. Thankfully, the V belt doesn't have to be changed that often.