Monday, June 24, 2013

Azumagourmet Calamari Salad Review

I like calamari (squid) so when I saw Azumagourmet's calamari salad, I decided to try it. I found the salad to be packed with calamari as well as crunchy vegetables and sesame seeds. The calamari itself was tender and very eatable. I mention that because anyone who has had calamari knows it can sometimes be like trying to eat a piece of rubber. Price wise, the salad is a little pricey. A 24 ounce container of the salad will cost you $11.99 at the Columbia, Maryland Costco (I don't know what other stores carry the product though I know the Laurel, Maryland Sam's Club doesn't carry it). This breaks out to approximately $8 a pound. The product has to be refrigerated and Azumagourmet recommends you consume the entire product within 5 to 7 days of opening it. I've gone longer than their recommendation without any ill effects though I have kept it refrigerated all the time barring when I was getting some out for a meal.

Overall, I've been very pleased with this product and would recommend it anyone who likes calamari. It's a very tasty salad with a nice oriental taste to it. Bon Appetit!

Update February 23, 2014: Like the Tuscan bean salad I reviewed and updated, this product has been dropped for some unknown reason by Costco. Like the bean salad, I hope it's just a seasonal thing. I plan to check on it later in the year to see if Costco starts carrying it again. I really liked this calamari salad and would recommend it to anyone that likes calamari.

Update February 26, 2014: I checked Costco's Glen Burnie, Maryland store and, they don't have this product either. They do have Azumagourmet's seaweed salad which I've never tried as it doesn't sound terribly appealing to me. I like seaweed with sushi but, I don't think I'd care for it in a salad.

Update April 27, 2021: To my surprise, the Columbia Costco started carrying this product again. The price is $11.79. It's still very good and, I ended up stocking up just in case they decided to stop carrying it again. If you like calimari, I think you'll like this product.

Update September 3, 2021: I visited the Columbia, Maryland Costco and, they were offering $3 on this calamari salad until September 12th. That means, it's selling for $8.79. Those who like calamari should get to Costco and grab this deal while they can.

Update November 17, 2022: I've visited the Columbia Costco store twice now in the past month and both times, it didn't have this product. It's possible it may not show again till spring. 😞

Update August 13, 2023: The Columbia Costco still isn't carrying the calamari salad. However, you can find it at the Whole Foods Market in Columbia though it is more expensive and isn't labeled under the Azumagourmet brand. It's labeled under Genji, comes in 4 ounce plastic containers and costs $5.99.

2 comments:

Vijay said...

Just FYI, I found/got it last week from Costco in Fremont, CA.

Ditto said...

Thanks for the comment Vijay. Maybe Costco is carrying it again. I plan to check some of their Maryland stores because of your comment.