Monday, August 06, 2012

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas Video

When I did my 2nd cruise with Royal Caribbean, I received an unexpected bonus with my cruise. As luck would have it, the Oasis of the Seas was in port the same day my ship Navigator of the Seas was leaving. This gave me a chance to see the ship for the first time albeit at a distance. The ship is very impressive. The ship is unique (barring its sister ship Allure) in that the interior of the ship is open to the elements and changes what would've been interior cabins. Guests on board the ship can look out on either the only class of ships to have a park with real plants growing (over 15,000 of them!) or watch a show put on by the Aqua Theater (it has the largest and deepest pool on a cruise ship - 1 million gallons of water and 16 feet deep!) from their balconies. I'd heard about a video that was made showing the behind the scenes goings on with the Oasis and tried finding to no avail. Then, to my great surprise, the unofficial Royal Caribbean blog (http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/) posted it on August 4th. The video is over 46 minutes long and shows various goings on during the maiden cruise of the Oasis. It's filled with all kinds of facts like how much the ship cost (over $1 Billion dollars), how much luggage they have to deliver to the various cabins (over 15,000 pieces) or how much stuff (21 truck loads) they have to load on the ship to accommodate its passengers (over 1,000 rolls of toilet paper alone!). The ship's captain Captain Wright correctly states the ship was intended to WOW people and, it clearly succeeds. It and its sister ship the Allure are the largest cruise ships in the world. They can accommodate 5,400 passengers and over 2,000 crew. The ship is over 1,000 feet long and 154 feet in width (which helps its stability). The video also shows what Royal Caribbean did in conjunction with various agencies to prepare for the ship like the massive upgraded cruise ship terminal at Ft. Lauderdale or the dredging at the main port in the Bahamas.

Overall, the video is really fascinating though I will warn you, it will tempt you seriously to do a cruise on the Oasis. I hope to do 1 some day but, I'm not in any hurry because of the ship's itineraries. On its or the Allure 7 days cruise, you can expect to spend 3 days in port and 3 DAYS at sea. That'll give you plenty of time to explore the ship but, I'd rather be exploring some port I've never been to. At the time of this posting, a friend from work and his wife are sailing on the Oasis. They'll get to visit the new port of Falmouth (built with the Oasis class in mind), Royal Caribbean's resort at Labadee, Haiti and make port at Cozumel, Mexico which I got to visit on the same cruise I saw the Oasis. It's a decent cruise but, I'd prefer to do either the cruises I'll do in November when I visit 10 ports in 14 days (none of which I've ever been to before) or the 2 cruises I did this past November when I visited 9 Caribbean islands in 14 days. I cruise to see stuff not check out all the stuff on the boat though that can impress too like Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ship having an ice skating rink on the 3rd deck. A reminder, the video can be found at: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/ Happy viewing and dreaming of far away places!

Update: September 15, 2013

This video can also be found on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyaJ2cUX6K0. I watched it again today and, it remains a really interesting video of the ship's operations. It's like the All Access tour I did on Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas but, you get to see the ship's personnel actually in action whereas on All Access tour, you see some of the behind the scenes things.

No comments: