Sunday, June 03, 2012

Procedures at Terminal 2 Amman International Airport

I thought I'd post what you can expect at Amman International Airport's Terminal 2. Things are different there from what I was used to in the United States.

First, you pass through your first security screen upon entering the airport unlike U.S. airports where you would check-in at your appropriate airline.

Second, you then check-in with your appropriate airline. In my case, it was with the German airline Lufthansa who code shares with Air Canada, the the airline I was flying.

Third, after checking in, you go through Jordanian customs. Here, you'll get your passport stamped and, they'll make sure you have a boarding pass.

Fourth, you take an escalator up to the top floor where you'll find the Duty Free shop, restaurants (KFC, Pizza Hut, etc) and news stands. This is the main waiting area for your flight. They won't allow you to the gate till your within an hour or so of your flight. Also, there isn't any shops by the gates so, you better get any drink, food or paper here before passing through the 2nd security screening.

Fifth, to my surprise, there is a 2nd security screening. I guess the Jordanian officials really want to make sure you're not carrying anything nasty so they check you twice. After you pass through, you can walk to your appropriate gate where there is a small waiting area and access to bathrooms. There isn't anything else. There are electronic signs at this screening that will tell you the status of the flights in the gates it covers. Mine covered gates 10, 11 and 12.

Sixth, an airline employee will announce at your gate when they'll start boarding and who gets to go first usually First Class and Business Class passengers as well as those belonging to their frequent flier program. When boarding commences, you'll show your boarding pass and passport and board your flight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Important to note that if you are female, you will go thru a separate screening where you will be patted down by a woman. Women travelers are required to be completely out of the sightline of their luggage. Plan accordingly— I had a moneybelt around my waist with lots of cash and thought I could just show it to the security and I could pass thru. But I was required (despite my polite explanation and pleading) to put it on the x-ray belt on its own (which obviously was a MONEY BELT to all who saw it) and then I had to go thru the women-only passage way. It was only a minute or so, but still made me nervous—plenty of time for a stack of cash to get "misplaced". My moneybelt would have been safer in my luggage than on my person only to be removed and seperated from me.

Ditto said...

I wouldn't recommend packing your money belt with money in it in your luggage. Anything that is particularly valuable should be carried by you. Luggage can easily be broken into and, there are lots of steps where someone could break into it. It would be very hard for the airline to find the thief. With the women only passage way, I would take the money out of the belt and carry it in your hands if need be. That way, it can't be "misplaced."