Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Holidays at the Post Office

If there is one place you pay work wise for a holiday, it's at the post office. This past week, I got to enjoy Columbus Day. The extra day off proved really useful as I was able to pick up my new Yamaha TMAX. However, I knew I would pay for that extra day off when I went back to work and, I did. All categories of mail were heavier because of the extra day. I ended up with just over 8 trays of mail, 24 packages, 15 or so small parcels and 8 accountables (1 Express Mail and 7 Certifieds). Because of all that mail and the route I was on, I ended up working almost 12 and 1/2 hours. I tried to work fast as I knew I was in a race with the sun. I needed to finish delivering the mail before the sun went down as that would make it harder to see inside the boxes and make sure I was delivering each person's mail to the right person. The sun ended up winning the race but, I only had to deliver the mail in the dark to 1 multi-box. I managed to use the mail truck's internal lights to shine some light into the box so I could see the address numbers and names. As it gets darker earlier later in the year, I'll make sure I take my miner's light just in case I have to deliver mail in the dark to multi-boxes. The light enables me to see inside the boxes in the dark. You wear the light on your head which makes it easier to use vice trying to hold a flashlight and stick mail in the boxes at the same time. Unfortunately, I didn't realize I was going to be out as late as I was and so, I didn't bring it with me. Considering all things, the day went all right. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to do that particular route again today. I don't like it because of all the multi-boxes and, I'm still slow at sorting the mail on its mail case. We'll see what works out. Cheers all!

No comments: