Saturday, April 18, 2009

Saving Money

Before I leave on one of my serious trips, I always turn down the thermostat in my apartment. There isn't any point in running the heat in the place if I'll be gone. Normally when I return, I turn it back up again. This past heating cycle I decided not to. I decided to try to save some money by keeping the thermostat set at 62 degrees. I felt that was comfortable enough. If necessary, I could put a jacket on to stay warm. A couple days ago, I received my Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE) bill. It turned out leaving the thermostat at 62 degrees was worth it. My bill was nearly cut in half. It went from $59 to $35. I was delighted. I plan to leave the thermostat where it is and hold off switching over to air conditioning (ac) as long as I can. Eventually, when summer fully hits, I'll have to turn the ac on as I can't sleep in my apartment if it gets too hot. Opening the windows doesn't make a noticable difference. Still, the lower BGE bills will be nice while they last. I don't like giving them any more of my money then I have to. Cheers all!

No comments: