Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wasps

Today, I ran into another hazard that a mail carrier has to deal with: wasps. Wasps like to build their nests in dark places. The outgoing mail box on various multi-mailboxes apparently suits them just fine. I opened the outgoing box as usual on one multi-mailbox as this is where the latch is so you can open the doors to the box. I noticed one wasp fly out after I opened the mailbox. I put the mail in the various boxes, dropped the latch to close the doors and a wasp tried to come shooting out. I promptly closed the door to the outgoing mail slot. The wasp climbed out and flew around a little before returning to the mail box. To my great annoyance, the latch didn't lock. I was faced with a dilemma. There were wasps in the outgoing mailbox and if I opened the door, they would certainly fly out again. However, I couldn't leave the mailbox unsecured. I got the nerve up, opened the outgoing mailbox door and dropped the latch. This time, a wasp came flying right at me. I have rarely moved so fast as I did then. I managed to avoid the wasp. However, the mailbox wasn't locked. So, I had to wait for the wasp to go back in so I could close the door and very quickly lock the box. Once I locked the box, I made haste to my mail truck and carried on. I plan to tell who delivers rural route 11 tomorrrow that there is a wasp nest inside that particular box. Hopefully, the Post Office can send someone out to get rid of those wasps. I'm counting my blessings that I won't be doing rural route 11 tomorrow.

No comments: