Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Post Office Update

I got to deliver Express Mails today. For some reason, it was heavy today. We got 27 of them covering 4 different zip codes. That's a lot and we only had a little over 90 minutes to deliver them all. By the time I got done writing up all the PS Form 3849s for them (the form people have to sign), I had 75 minutes to deliver 14 of them. I had to haul some butt to get it done. Also, as part of the deal of getting the regular carrier to let me use his truck, I had to fill it up with gas. Our Post Office is tight on vehicles and we don't have a couple we could use just for them. Sometimes, I've had to use my car to deliver them. In that case, I'd get paid for the milage but I doubt it covers the cost of gas and wear and tear on my car. The main advantage of using my car is that I don't have to go to the various carriers and talk them into letting me use their truck. Carriers can be reluctant to let me use their truck because it could hold them up. I did my best to get the Express Mails I had done as quickly as possible but, it still took me over an hour and 45 minutes by the time I got back to the Post Office. The carrier who loaned me his truck was ready to go and waiting by the time I got back. I was sorry about that though there was nothing I could do about it.
On a different subject, it looks like the route adjustments will take effect soon. I know one of the powers that be was in today. He was plugging in the information for all the routes into the computer. I'll find out if I'll get an auxiliary route and how long it will be. The auxiliary route was supposed to be 2 hours but it might be less since they plan to move parts of routes to other routes to bring up their delivery times. I'm not worried as far as how things will go. I'm just curious to see what the changes will be. Any way it goes, things will work out.

No comments: