Saturday, June 21, 2008

Egypt Tour Update

Things went back and forth on the Globus Egypt tour that I hoped to go on. I wasn't able to get the class upgrade I hoped for on British Airways. When my travel agent Joel Mills checked on what Globus offered airfare wise, he found out that Globus wanted me to depart Cairo at 1:55 a.m. NO WAY! Luckily, he found a better way to get me there and back though I'll have to fly out of Washington Dulles vice Baltimore Washington International. It cost an extra $154 but, it's worth it. I'll fly on Egyptair non-stop from New York JFK to Cairo and back.

The tour itself went up an additional $100 and some odd bucks. In order to recover from the long flight to Cairo (9 and 1/2 hours), I plan to fly out a day early. That'll cost an extra $230. Ouch! Since I won't be flying using a Globus airfare, I'll have to pay extra for airport transfers to and from the hotel. Grrrrrr! Then, I had purchase travel insurance as there isn't any guarantee that I'll be able to get the time off from the Post Office. The date of the tour is too far out to get it approved plus, my current boss may not be in charge of the rural routes at that time (she'll find that out in August).

All totaled, the tour, airfare, transfers, travel insurance and long term parking will cost over $5,100! Still, it should be an incredible tour. A lot of other people seem to think so as the tour has sold out for the date that I'll be going on. I wonder how many that means will be in our group. I'll find out in March 2009. The tour promises more interesting blog entries and incredible photos. Also my faithful readers, don't forget that there are just 3 months to go till I start posting on the incredible sights to be seen France. I've been watching a Rick Steves DVD on France and it promises to be an exciting tour. Cheers all!

No comments: