Monday, February 18, 2008

Test Drive

I did a test drive today to Washington Dulles International Airport. I'll be flying out of there when I fly to San Juan, Puerto Rico for my Caribbean cruise. The drive went all right barring slow traffic on a number of spots on the Washington 495 Beltway. As I was going to west on 495, I saw that there were bad spots going east and decided to continue on 495 South once I finished checking Dulles out.
Washington Dulles International Airport was built between 1958 and 1962. The main architect of the airport was Eero Saarinen. (Source: http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/about_dulles_international_2/history_2)
Saarinen did a nice job designing the airport. He also designed it so it could grow as more and more people flew. Thanks to Saarinen's foresight, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority was able to expand the airport as needed. I drove the dedicated road that runs to the airport. It was well maintained and well marked. I was able to find the long term (economy) parking lots as well as the departure area I'll leave from. From what I could see, my only worry will be the traffic along the 495 Beltway. Once I reach the dedicated road, I should have no problems reaching Dulles. I'm considering staying at a hotel at the airport or close by. I have a somewhat early flight and I don't want to have to get up super early to drive down to Dulles or take a chance on the traffic. I don't know what the traffic is like on the Beltway at 6 a.m.
My drive back was uneventful barring a 3 or 4 mile backup before the drawbridge on the southeast side of the beltway. I suspect construction in this area is what is slowing traffic down there. Once I was past that, I made good time getting home.

No comments: