Monday, February 06, 2006

Steelers Win Super Bowl XL

I watched the Super Bowl last night and it ended up being one nail-biting game. Seattle definitely came out to play and for a while it seemed only the Steeler's defense had bothered to show up for the game. The first four times the Steeler's had the ball, they couldn't escape their 20-yard zone. They looked hopelessly pathetic. Finally, the Steeler's offense did get going only to have Ben Roethisberger throw two interceptions including the one at seven and goal which left me speechless. I can't help but wonder if he even looked where he intended to throw the ball before he unloaded it. Still, the Steelers defense did its renowned job and Roethisberger managed to put enough points on the board to win the game. I've heard the officiating hurt the Seahawks but I think the Seahawks got some breaks too. I remember when their quarterback fumbled and the officials said he'd been hit by a Steeler and that some how negated the fumble. The Steeler managed to get one hand on his jersey as he was already going down. I don't consider that a hit. I will concede that a passing interference against Seattle which cost them a touchdown looked bogus. The push the Seattle player did on the Pittsburgh player had no effect on stopping the Pittsburgh player. Still, great teams overcome such calls and I thought Seattle would. I was absolutely amazed when their quarterback got intercepted down on the 4 or 5 yard line. That led to an incredible special play by Pittsburgh where one of their wide receivers threw a touchdown pass. It was a play to remember.

Overall, it was a good Super Bowl. The first half wasn't terribly exciting but the second half was. Many kudos to Seattle, they played a great game and in my opinion they had the better offense. Lastly, many thanks to Jerome Bettis for the memories. He's a class act. I know Pittsburgh will miss him.

No comments: