Wednesday, February 01, 2006

SHARE - It's A Wrap!

Yesterday, I got to finish working an entire cycle at SHARE by helping them do inventory. It wasn't very hard work. All I had to do was pull everything out of the freezer, group like items together like all the chicken thighs, and then help Sam count all the items. What's left in the inventory and from next month's food packages will go on sale at February's market day (see previous post on this). Once all the remaining items were counted, I put all the frozen food back in the freezer. After that, I got to help with the disposal of the fresh produce SHARE had leftover. Due to health laws, SHARE can keep the produce only so long (I don't know how long). Usually, SHARE gets rid of the produce after market day. SHARE will donate the food to various church pantries and food banks so the food isn't wasted. Once all the produce is cleared out, I helped Sam set up the tables so volunteers can bag a new potato shipment when it arrives in two weeks. After the tables were set up, my part in the cycle was finished. For Sam and the other permanent staff, there will be time to work on various projects such as recruiting new customers for SHARE and finish determining what February's food package will be. It'll also give them time to take a breather before the cycle kicks in again and builds up to its peak on the distribution days.
It has been an interesting experience going through an entire cycle with SHARE. For someone who used to just bag potatoes on bagging Saturday, it has been an eye-opening experience to see how much more actually goes on at SHARE. It has also shown me how I can help SHARE in other ways such as showing new volunteers how things are done, help set things up for pre-staging, and preparing the bays for the distribution days. It has helped keep things exciting for me at SHARE. I can now do so many different jobs. Because of that, I look forward to doing more volunteer work at SHARE. I hope you the reader have found the SHARE posts informative. SHARE is an awesome program. Hopefully through these posts you might be persuaded to help out at the Washington D.C. SHARE if you live in that area or at a different one close to you if there is one. I feel certain any of the SHARE centers would appreciate your help. It doesn't take a lot of time and it can make a real difference for a lot of people. Cheers!

No comments: