Monday, February 06, 2006

Sprint's PCS Connection Cards

First, before I get started let me state that the following opinions are my own and are in no way influenced by Sprint. Sprint also hasn't paid me any kind of remuneration for my endorsement of their PCS connection cards.
One service I use that Sprint offers is their internet service using one of their PCS connection cards on my laptop computer. What a PCS connection card is basically a cell phone made for a computer that can enable it to access the internet via Sprint's cellular phone network. The big plus of these cards is that any where in the U.S. where you can pick up a Sprint cell phone signal, you can hook-up to the internet. For an internet junkie like myself, this can be priceless. I big time like to surf the web, get the latest news, and check my emails regularly. Thanks to Sprint's PCS connection card I can.
Sprint offers two of the cards. As far as I was able to determine, there wasn't any difference in capability. Both supposedly worked well. I ended up going with their Nokia card. Connection wise, the card enables you to hook-up to the internet at a minimum of 400 kbps with a top speed of 2 Mbps. This is equal to a broadband connection with the advantage that you can take it with you. The disadvantages is the price of the card and the cost of downloading. Even with a rebate, my new PCS connection card ended up costing over $100. I've heard you can get a cable modem for $25. Also, Sprint has various plans where you can decide how much you think you'll download off the internet. If you think you're going to use it LOTS like I do, you would be smart to get unlimited download though that will cost you either $60 a month with a 2-year agreement of $80 a month with a 1-year agreement. I think someone told me cable internet service would cost you $50 a month so you pay more for being mobile.
Realistically, the service is intended for the travelling business executive who needs to be able to access the internet any time they want while in the U.S. However, those who travel a lot may find the service handy. I like to take the train down to Richmond to see my friend Harvey or fly home to see my parents, and it's really nice to be to access the internet any time I want. The service also guarantees that I won't have any problem doing my college class assignments if I'm travelling. Lastly, the service can save you money. I remember staying at the Grand Hyatt in New York City. They wanted 50 cents a minute to access the internet on one of their computers in their business center. I've rarely been so glad I had my PCS connection card as I was then.
Overall, the service isn't for every body. It very much depends on how much you need to access the internet. Also, how much you travel would determine how much you would need the card and service. If you travel a fair amount and need to access the internet, the Sprint PCS connection card may be ideal for you. If you don't, it would be cheaper for you to use a cable modem service. One other consideration about the card. If you don't have cable service available, you might want to check into the card as it does enable you to have cable modem speed without having to get your yard dug up to install the cable modem. I personally very much enjoy the service. Whether it is right for you, only you can decide. It is in my opinion, an option worth considering.

No comments: