Wednesday, May 20, 2015

BJ's Wholesale Club Review

Today, I did a review on BJ's Discount Warehouse Club on Living Social. I bought my membership through them as I felt they offered a real good on it. You got a 1 year membership (which normally costs $50 though I have seen them offer them for $25) and a $25 gift card for $35.

This is the first time I've belonged to their club though I have bought stuff from them years ago (pickled pepperoncini peppers).

Living Social gave me 2 ratings to choose from: great and not great. To me, BJ's doesn't rate either. BJ's rate as ok, middle of the road. They have some very good products that apparently they only sell vice Costco and Sam's Club (which I also belong to) like Belle Sole Cooked and Marinated Asparagus (see my review on it) as well as Virgil's Root Beer Party Keg (see my review on it).

Membership price wise, BJ's seems on par with the other 2 clubs. Like the other 2 clubs, they offer an elevated membership where you get a 1 or 2 percent back reward though I suspect you'd have to buy a lot of stuff there to make that worth it (I don't).

Customer Service is pretty good too. I had to deal with them today to get my latest coupon booklet and, I was very pleased with how courteous they were.

One big downside in my book is they seem to be chintzy with their specials. You'll only be able to get one whereas you might be able to get 3, 4 or more at Costco or Sam's Club. Example: Both BJ's and Costco had Magnum Double Caramel Bars on special. BJ's allowed you to get one at their special price. Costco allowed you to get 3 or 4 (I forget the exact number). So, they don't wow me on this.

BJ's does offer free WiFi at their clubs though I've had a hard time connecting to it when I've tried to use it unlike Sam's Club which seems to work better. Costco doesn't offer WiFi at all for some reason (annoying that).

They sell terminal lottery tickets like Mega Millions and Powerball at one check out counter and have a scratch off ticket machine that sells various scratch lottery games. For some reason, neither Costco or Sam's Club sell any kind of lottery tickets. For me, this is a plus as I do like to play the scratch off games.

Overall, I've been pleased with BJ's but not wowed. I think they're ok and depending on which club is close by, they could be worth joining in your case. They are definitely cheaper than standard supermarkets (I found that out recently when I bought some Lloyd's Bar-b-que ribs at Giant). Keep an eye out for deals on their memberships and when you see one, try it for 1 year and see what you think. I think they do offer enough to make it worth being a member. I know I'll be renewing next year even though I'm not keen on belonging to THREE clubs. Jeez. Happy shopping all!

No comments: