Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Benson Drive Columbia Maryland McDonald's Wi-Fi Review

Note to all: I specified Benson Drive in the title because there are 4 McDonald's Restaurants in Columbia, Maryland.

According to the McDonald's website, there are over 11,000 McDonald's restaurants that offer FREE WiFi. I had to pick the one who's WiFi was down. I'd never tested the WiFi at a McDonald's and, I wanted to see if there were any problems with it. The Wi-Fi at the 8305 Benson Drive McDonald's in Columbia, Maryland definitely has problems at the time of this post. The restaurant was reportedly recently remodeled. As far as I could tell, this was true and, they did a very nice job of it. However, according to the person who took my order there, while doing the remodeling, they cut 3 of the wires that helped run the WiFi at the restaurant knocking it out. I tested it with my Nook e-reader and found that I could pick up a very strong signal however, I got repeated WiFi errors if I tried to get an Internet Protocol (IP) address. So, for now, there isn't any WiFi at this restaurant. I plan to check back at the place in about a month or so and see if they get it fixed. Stay tuned for an update.

Update June 1st, 2014: My apologies to my readers for taking so long to get back to this McDonald's to test its WiFi. I finally made it there today. I found out the WiFi is working there though it seems to have some kind of problem. I kept getting WiFi errors saying no Internet connection even though I had an Internet connection that worked i.e. could post stuff on Facebook, check emails, etc. Go figure. So, you may get WiFi errors but, you will be able to connect to the Internet here. Happy Internet surfing all!

No comments: