Sunday, May 19, 2013

Cheerwine Review

At the Columbia, Maryland Wegmans store, I noticed Cheerwine for the first time. I'd never heard of the soft drink before. I had no idea what kind of soft drink it was. Finally, a week ago, I decided to try it and see if it's any good. I found out it's a cherry flavored soft drink. I probably should've guessed that as the company has 3 small cherries made into the old fashioned glass bottle they sell the drink in. The soft drink first came out in 1917 when a man named L.D. Peeler of Salisbury, North Carolina came up with a unique soft drink that included cherry syrup. The soft drink was a hit and slowly spread through out the state and on to other parts of the United States.

I found that Cheerwine has a nice cherry taste to it. It is a little more expensive than more mass produced soft drinks like Coca Cola. A four 12 ounce bottle pack will cost you $3.99 or a cold one from the cold drinks section at Wegmans will cost you $1.69. Still, the drink uses real sugar vice corn syrup. One drawback I found to it is the drink does have caffeine added which probably gives the customer a little energy boost. The drink also comes in a diet version and may be available in cans though I've only seen it in glass bottles at Wegmans.

Overall, Cheerwine is a good soft drink with a nice cherry flavor. If you like cherry soda, this is a drink you should try. As near as I can tell, you should be able to find the soft drink at Wegmans supermarkets. I haven't checked to it if it's available at other stores.

No comments: