Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow!

Yesterday, the weatherman was predicting we were going to get royally clobbered snow wise today. They were predicting as much as 26 inches of snow. It turned out they got their predictions right. When I walked out to my car at 5:45 a.m., we already had at least 5 inches of the white stuff. Everyone at the Post Office wondered if we would get sent home. The weather predictions said it was only going to get worse. Worse still, the person who was supposed to put the chains on our mail trucks for some reason didn't. While a number of the trucks had good tires on them with good tread, it wasn't nearly enough to handle 8 plus inches of snow. Upper management decided we would try to deliver some of the mail and so, we were sent out with our automated sorted mail i.e. DPS mail. It turned out to be a fruitless attempt. The snow fall went from 2 inches an hour to 4! With already nearly a foot of snow on the ground, there was no way the trucks could get through it. As soon as the trucks were sent out, a number of them became stuck. In my personal case, I tried hard to get through and deliver my mail but, a number of the roads I had to deliver mail to weren't plowed. It was impossible to get through them. After getting royally stuck and only able to get free thanks to 2 awesome strangers who helped get my truck free, I gave up and very carefully made me way back to the post office where I work. All of the carriers both city and rural were called back. By Monday, the roads should be more passable and, we'll have to play catch up mail wise. The current snow fall is supposed to continue through tonight. It may look pretty but, it has made it impossible to get any where. Stay tuned for more updates. Cheers all!

No comments: