Sunday, February 18, 2007

Medieval Times

I got to be the executioner today at the Medieval Times castle I work at. It was only the third or fourth time I'd played the executioner. The person who normally plays it (Solomon) is in Florida on vacation. I found it fun and a challenge. It's fun in that you get to play a character that is somewhat sinister. It's a challenge in a number of ways. The executioner is only able to communicate through grunts and mime as he had his tongue cut out (rumor has it for talking too much). The executioner must also be scary but not too scary. You want to give the kids a small fright but not scare them away from the castle. Also, the executioner helps make money for the castle by selling spoof pictures of people having their head chopped off. Today, the photo girl and I sold 8 pictures which was pretty good considering the crowd we had.

I also got to use my first four free tickets to the castle. One of the rewards of working at Medieval Times is getting four free tickets on your birthday and four free tickets on Christmas. I used my birthday tickets and treated a friend who works at the Post Office, her daughter and two of her friends to Medieval Times. I enjoyed getting to treat them to the show and hope they had a fun time. I'll find out when I work at the Post Office Wednesday.

Lastly, I got to battle it out with a Medieval Times co-worker in a trivia competition. We had a competition series of the best out of five. The one who won would become the acknowledged trivia champion between us. Things didn't go well for me initially as I lost the first two matches. The second one was particularly crushing as I lost the match on the second to last question. To my surprise, I came back and won the last three matches. The deciding match was a nerve-wracking affair. I took the lead on points BUT I only had 2 life forces left (you get 5 to start with). The thing that cost me the second match was life forces. I lost my last life force on the second to last question so I was very anxious at only having two. I didn't want a repeat of the second match. Thankfully, two was enough and I won. Someone once said "Victory is sweet." and they weren't kidding. I'm savoring my triumph and plan to have some more fun by reminding my co-worker who the trivia champion is. Considering how cocky she was about her trivia skill, it'll be fun to remind her who won the competition.

No comments: