Tuesday, December 27, 2005

White Castle Hamburgers

Today, I got to pick up a case (30) of White Castle hamburgers. It brought back lots of memories. The most vivid ones were of trips to my grandmother's trailer home in the back woods of Indiana. Once a year, my Dad and Mom would pile me and my sister in the car and drive to Indiana to visit my grandmother (on my Dad's side of the family). Grandma lived in a trailer out in the country. It was so country that until she and my Grampa got a full size trailer, they didn't have a bathroom. They had an outhouse and that was real interesting. I remember it well because it stunk and me being a kid at the time, the last thing I wanted to do was have to go to the bathroom when it was cold and dark outside. Later, they did get a full size trailer which got a bit full when my family, my Aunt Marge's family, and my Aunt Norma's family showed up. It became something of a massive slumber party then. Still, it was a lot of fun visiting grandma.
One of the highlights of the visit ironically wasn't seeing her. It was stopping by the Columbus, Ohio White Castle restaurant. The drive from Pittsburgh (where we lived at the time) to Indiana was something like 9 hours. Me and my sister Marjorie being typical kids could only stay good and patient so long. One way my folks kept us more good was to stop by the Columbus White Castle.
What is so special at the Columbus White Castles' you might ask? Actually, it was like any other White Castle restaurant. What it made it special was the food. White Castle hamburgers are square shaped hamburgers that a kid could easily handle. To make them more fun, since there not terribly big, you could eat a lot of them. I remember stacking the empty boxes they came in after we'd finished eating. To me, they were a special treat. They have remained so ever since.
One annoying thing about White Castle restaurants is that they are primarily located in the Midwest. There aren't any in Maryland as far as I know. I can buy the frozen White Castle hamburgers at Sam's Club but they're not the same. The frozen ones don't come in the stackable boxes and they don't have the same flavor after you microwave them. I wanted some right off the stove. Today, on my way to the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, my step-mom who was taking me stopped by a White Castle restaurant where I could get a case of them. I was delighted. Later, during the flight to Baltimore Washington International Airport (I was on my way home from staying with my Dad and my other step-mom Jane during Christmas.), I got to enjoy seven of them. They were great. I still have 22 left so I'll be able to savor for a little while longer some more White Castle hamburgers and reminisce about years gone by.
FYI, White Castle hamburgers come 30 to a case. If you did the math above, you'd see I should have 23 left. My step-mom Kay, who also loves White Castle hamburgers, jokingly charged me a transit fee of one hamburger. I gladly paid. White Castle hamburgers cost 48 cents each. A case normally costs $14.40 however, they are having a special promotion where you can buy a case for $12.99 not including tax. For further information on White Castle restaurants, their website is: www.whatyoucrave.com. If you don't have a White Castle restaurant close to you, you might see if there is a Krystal restaurant close by. Krystal's serves the same burgers White Castle does (in my opinion). I found this out when I ate at a Krystal's in Mary Esther, Florida. As far as I know, Krystal's is primarily located in Florida. Their website is: www.krystal.com. One final comment about White Castle restaurants. They're also located in New York and New Jersey. Also, fyi, this comments about White Castle and Krystal restaurants are my own. I also don't receive any kind of remuneration for this positive review. Lastly, I don't promise you'll like their hamburgers. Each of us has different tastes. I know I personally enjoy their hamburgers and heartily recommend them.

1 comment:

Fancy's Lady said...

I certainly enjoyed mine!