Friday, December 16, 2005

SHARE 12/16/05

I helped out at SHARE for the third day this week. I must be a glutton for punishment. I also got a surprise today, SHARE decided to set up a distribution line that stayed open until 5:30 p.m. The line wasn't as busy as it is on distribution Saturday's but we did get a fair amount of customers. I ended up helping out in a number of areas. I handed out potatoes initially, then started bagging tangelos for the table next to mine. Later, I handed out onions, apples, celery, sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, and pancake mix. It kept the work interesting. I also got to enjoy some of Jingle's excellent chicken and rice soup. That helped keep you warm in the warehouse.

Another person I'd like to tell you a little about is Scott. Scott is the executive director at SHARE, the big man who runs the whole show. He's a very nice guy who shows no sign of having a big man attitude. Like other people who work at SHARE, he's a jack of all trades. He helps fill orders, hand food out, and do whatever else needs to be done. Scott also usually leads the morning prayer on distribution Saturdays. It's a nice prayer and a nice way to start things on those days.

One correction I have to make to my last SHARE post, there isn't any sub-group managers. I spoke with Chris today to make sure I understood how things work as far as the orders go. He said the individual who wants to order for a package or packages goes to whatever group that is taking orders (usually a church) and they in turn come to the SHARE warehouse to pick up the orders. Chris and the other four group managers deal with those groups over any problems, showing them how to promote SHARE, how to take orders, and how to turn the orders and money in.

No comments: