Sunday, May 11, 2014

Tech Tools PI-810 World Time Travel Alarm Clock With Flashlight Product Review

The main travel clock I use for my travels is the Tech Tools PI-810 world travel clock with flashlight. While it has some drawbacks, it is the easiest to change time zones on as far as I know (I'll give an example later in the review). The clock is sold on Amazon for between $11 and $12 which isn't vary expensive. The clock is small (guesstimate is it's 6 inches long and an inch and a half wide) so it doesn't take up a lot of space in your suitcase. It has a drawback in that the buttons on it are exposed and so they can be hit causing it to beep. I try to pack the clock around things that won't cause it to go off. Another drawback to the clock is it uses 2 different types of batteries. It uses 3 LR44 lithium cell batteries for the flashlight and 2 AAA for the clock functions. This is annoying. Also, you must have the directions that come with the clock in order to set the alarm functions or change the temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius or vice versa (press the down arrow while in normal time mode). The temperature gauge as far as I know is accurate and handy.

The biggest plus of this clock is the ease you can change it between time zones. It has 18 time zones on it. Each time zone is covered by a particular city example: New York for the Eastern Standard time zone. In order to change between time zones, you simply twist the rotating knob at the end of the clock to the city that has the time zone you want. During my recent Panama Canal cruise on Royal Caribbean's Legend of  the Seas ship, I changed time zones 3 times. Thanks to this convenient clock, all I had to do was turn the knob one click to the next time zone.

Overall, I think Tech Tools PI-810 world travel clock is a decent travel clock. It is particularly handy if you're going to be travelling to different time zones. With it, you just turn the knob to the appropriate time zone vice having to reset the time on the clock like with my Brookstone Microbeam travel clock. Personally, I'd recommend it but, I know from reading reviews on Amazon that not every one likes the clock. So, you may want to order one and if you don't like it, you can return it like some have apparently done. Happy travels all!

11 comments:

MarvinM said...

How does the alarm go on? I can set the time for the alarm, but I don't see how to get the alarm to ring.

Ditto said...

Hi MarvinM. Per your question on how to activate the alarm. You press the Mode button and go to the alarm function. You press the up arrow button once to turn on the alarm, twice if you want to activate the alarm i.e. turn it on AND activate the snooze function. Activating just the alarm will cause a 1 minute continuous sound when the alarm goes off. Pressing any button at that time will deactivate the alarm.

If the snooze function is also activated, a 1 minute alarm will go off every 5 minutes for 5 times. Pressing the light/snooze button on top of the lock will temporarily deactivate the alarm sound. To totally deactivate the snooze function, press any other key.

These instructions are per the instructions I received with the clock and, I personally tested activating the alarm on a clock I own. It worked.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the clock.

Unknown said...

same device...How do I stop the beeping every time I press a button. I'd like to use it as a bedside clock when travelling, but the beeps are going to keep my wife awake.

Gareth 'LovesTha' Pye said...

Is the alarm auto converted to the local time zone or must the alarm be set to the correct time after changing time zones?

mriguy2 said...

I would dearly love to know how to turn off the damn alarm. I tried the proceedure you describe with the exception that I pressed the down button. This did not work and the instructions that came with it are lost.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John Bock

Ditto said...

To Ron Taylor. As far as I know, it's impossible to turn the beeping off while using the alarm function. You can turn on the snooze function by hitting the up arrow twice on the mode/light/set arrow panel so, it'll stop for a little bit before going off again.

Ditto said...

To Gareth 'Lovetha' Pye. The alarm will go off at the set time in whatever time zone you're using at the time. I know this for a fact as I recently used the alarm function repeatedly while on Tokyo time (my normal time is New York time i.e. Eastern Standard time). I set it for 6 a.m. and, it went off at 6 a.m. on Tokyo time.

Ditto said...

To Mriguy2/John Bock. You have to use the up arrow while turning on first the alarm function (hit it once), then to turn on the snooze function (hit it twice) or to turn the alarm function off completely (hit it three times). You'll see the alarm and snooze symbols disappear on the clock face when you hit it 3 times. As far as getting a new set of directions, I don't know you could get a new set. I did the same thing and had to buy a second clock to get them.

Anonymous said...

hi there,

i have a Japanese version, figured everything except the different melody. Please kindly advise.

thanks,
Raf

Ditto said...

To Raf, I don't remember seeing anything in the directions for changing the melody. Hopefully, that's not problem with using the thing. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Ditto. I was searching for a digital form of the instructions and you answered what I needed. Thanks for your help.