Sunday, May 18, 2014

Hard Rock Rewards Program Assessment

I've been a member of the Hard Rock Rewards program for over a year and a half now. I thought it time to write an assessment of the program and why I don't like it as much as I liked their previous rewards program called All Access.

The current Hard Rock Rewards program has 2 levels. There is the free level which doesn't cost you anything and, there's the VIP level which costs you $24.95 per year. The advantage of the VIP level is you get greater benefits than the free level. The most noteworthy in my opinion is the 10 additional reward points per dollar spent at each cafe you visit. Those 10 points per dollar can make a big difference on when you earn your next $15 reward. With the free membership, you'll have to spend $250 for each $15 reward certificate. With the VIP level, you'll spend $166.66. So, with the VIP level, you'll save $83.34 for each reward certificate. In this way, you'll get back the price of the VIP membership with your first rewards certificate.

Update October 27, 2015: This is no longer true. Hard Rock International has done away with the VIP level for reasons unknown to me.

Concerning the program itself, your reward points are good for 12 months after which you lose those points. Each reward certificate you earn is good for 6 months before they expire. If you don't have any activity with your VIP membership for 12 months and your VIP membership has expired, Hard Rock can delete your membership though they will notify you 30 days before they do so. (See Update)

Between the 2 levels of membership, the VIP membership is the better one though you have to renew it every year i.e. pony up another $24.95 each year. (See Update)

In comparison the previous All Access program, the Rewards program isn't as good. With All Access, your points NEVER expired as I remember whereas they do with the Reward program. You could keep amassing your rewards to where you can could amass a serious reward (I got up to $140 worth of rewards before sadly Hard Rock got rid of the All Access program) vice getting the $15 rewards certificate which you must use within 6 months. You can't carry over your rewards like you could with the All Access program. The All Access was totally free. There wasn't a VIP level where you had to pay $24.95 a year as I remember. For all these reasons, I'm not thrilled with the Hard Rock Rewards program BUT, it is better than nothing. (See Update)

I plan to stay a member and keep trying to visit Hard Rock Cafe's I haven't been to before. Last month, I got to visit their cafe in Cartagena, Colombia for the first time which was pretty neat. Next year, I hope to visit their cafe in Helsinki, Finland for the first time as well as visit their cafe's again in Stockholm, Sweden and Copenhagen, Denmark. I very much like getting their t-shirts and showing the world some of the Hard Rock cafes I've been to. Cheers all!

Addition October 27, 2015: Not all cafes participate in the rewards program. I found this out thankfully before trying to visit the Hard Rock Cafe in Stockholm, Sweden. If you're planning a visit to a Hard Rock Cafe, you might want to check their website and see if they participate in the program before you visit the cafe.

Also, I did get to visit the Copenhagen, Denmark cafe this August and, I found out it's no longer right next to the Tivoli Gardens. I don't know when it moved. I did find it a fine cafe though I didn't eat there (that wouldn't have made any sense with all the fine FREE food on board the cruise ship I was sailing on). I bought some souvenirs and gifts but, I still found it nice. Staff there were very helpful.

Lastly, I visited the London, England Hard Rock Cafe while en-route to my July/August 2015 cruise. Their gift/souvenir shop is across the street from the cafe vice behind it. I did have dinner at this cafe and, I very much enjoyed it. I got very happily stuffed there. Visiting this cafe brought back lots of memories. This was the first Hard Rock Cafe I ever visited and was like a home away from home when I was stationed in the United Kingdom with the U.S. Air Force. It was great to get to visit it again.

No comments: