Sunday, March 02, 2014

Garmin Nuvi 2797 LMT GPS Review

I've had a Garmin Nuvi 750 Global Positioning System (GPS) unit for a number of years. I've been very pleased with it BUT, I began to run into problems with its memory. The new map updates kept getting larger in size and, the unit didn't have enough memory built in to handle them. So, I had to cut out various updates. I tried to upgrade the memory on the unit but, it had problems with the new large memory mini-cards. So, I decided to buy a new GPS unit. I settled on the Garmin Nuvi 2797 LMT because of its 7 inch screen, the lifetime map and traffic updates and, you'll never have to upgrade the memory on it (I don't know why).

The unit sells for $269.99 at Best Buy (where I bought mine). It comes with a suction cup thingy as well as a car power cord you can plug into your car's cigarette lighter and a cable for hooking it up to your computer so you can download map updates.

The unit is very easy to use. I haven't had any problems trying to find addresses on it. I particularly like the split screens where it'll show the exit I want and what lane I should stay it. Also, it shows special warnings when you enter school zones. Bluetooth wise, it has a function where it can tie in to your bluetooth capable phone and enable you to talk on your phone through the unit (I haven't tried this function to see how well it works). The 7 inch screen comes in handy in that it's very easy to see various roads on it as well as what's coming up ahead of you.

Overall, I've been very pleased with this GPS. I don't use it all the time because I don't travel that much but, when I do need it, it works great. I would definitely recommend it to others. The unit gets a 4.6 out of 5 (164 reviews at the time of this post) on Best Buy's website by other units which to me means others think it's a pretty good unit too. Happy traveling all!

Update December 9, 2015: I tried out the Bluetooth phone link with this GPS this past October when I was driving down to Richmond to see my friend Harvey. The link proved handy as I was able to talk to my friend without having to hold my smart phone while driving. Later, after I got a map update, I found I had to re-link my smart phone with the GPS unit. Apparently, that information gets lost or wiped out during the map update. Overall, I am pretty pleased with this feature even though I doubt I'll use it much.

2 comments:

Glenn Kromminga said...

I have had extreme problems with it finding satellites. About 95% of the time it cannot find the satellite.

Ditto said...

Glenn, I wonder if the unit itself is faulty. I haven't had any problems with mine finding satellites. You might take yours back and see if the place you bought it from will give you a replacement or tell you what the problem might be.