Sunday, March 23, 2014

Brookstone Flip Calculator with World Clock Product Review

I bought Brookstone's Flip Calculator with World Clock because I lost the operating instructions for my Journey's Edge Robotic Calculator with World Time Clock. The 2 calculator/clocks are basically the same though slightly different. The instructions I received with my Brookstone device worked for my Journey's Edge device. The slight differences are with the front of the case that opens up and, how you access the compartment that holds the batteries. The front of the case has a different appearance i.e. one is smooth while the other has a button you can use to close the clock. The battery compartment is different in that with the Brookstone device, you can slide the cover with your fingers to open it while with the Journey's Edge, you have to use a small philips head screwdriver to unscrew a small screw to open the compartment - a small hassle. Both devices use AG13/LR44/357 batteries. Ironically, it may cost you almost as much to replace the batteries on the device as what it cost you to buy it. I bought a 3 pack of 357 batteries for $5.67 at Wal-Mart.

In terms of price, both are priced closed to each other. I bought the Brookstone model on sale for $6.99. Supposedly, it regularly sells for $9.99. Ebay lists the Journey's Edge model for $7.99. You shouldn't pay more than $10 for one of these calculator/clocks and, you may be able to pay less depending on the deal you might be able to find on Ebay.

Both devices can display the time and date for 16 different time zones. The device will be set for a base time example: New York and, you press one of the other 15 buttons to see the time and date for the other time zones which are listed by a single city example: Tokyo or Moscow. If you don't know what time zone your particular city is in or the one you'll be traveling to, you'll have to look up what time zone it shares with what city. One minor annoyance is that you can't keep the clock set on the time zone you're traveling in like you can with Tech Tools PI-810 Traveling World Time Clock (I'll be reviewing this another time).

As for the calculator function, it works fine but, I question how much you need a calculator barring figuring to determine what something costs in your local currency.

Both devices come with an alarm and a countdown timer though the alarm isn't super loud. Another plus of the device is its light weight. Also, it takes up very little space when folded up.

Overall, it's an ok travel clock but, I think the TI clock I mentioned is better and is only a little bit more expensive than this device. Brookstone has a Microbeam Travel Clock which comes with a built in flashlight which can be handy traveling but, it doesn't have the different times zones this calculator/clock has and, it costs over 4 times more than this device ($29.99 for the Microbeam clock). This device has 2 pluses over the TI clock in that the buttons for it are protected when it's closed and, it uses just 1 type of battery i.e. AG13's where as the TI clock uses 3 AG13's and 2 AAA batteries (I'll explain why in my review of this travel clock). Happy travels all!

1 comment:

actatek38 said...

I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. The information available here is great. . I know something information, to know you can click here
actatek
time clock
biometric time clock