Sunday, April 21, 2013

Oscar Meyer Turkey Bacon

Recently, I bought some Oscar Meyer turkey bacon for the first time. I wanted to try it out and see if it was any good. Today, I cooked up my first batch of it. I found out Oscar Mayer lives up to its claim of NO GREASE. After cooking an entire 12 ounce package of the stuff, there wasn't any grease in the skillet I used. If I'd cooked regular pork bacon, I would've been scooping bunches of it. I suspect the reason there isn't any grease is because the bacon is already fully cooked according to the package. This would also explain how it supposedly has HALF the fat of regular pork bacon. You'll still need to cook the turkey bacon in order to make it nice and crispy. The bacon also does have a smoky flavor to it which Oscar Mayer adds during its processing. Price wise, a 12 ounce package of the bacon will set you back $3.49 (price quoted at Columbia, Maryland Wegmans store). That seems reasonable enough to me and, you may be able to save more buying the stuff at Sam's Club due to being able to buy it in bulk. They sell the bacon in boxes containing three 12 ounce packages. The only thing that didn't impress me about the bacon was the flavor. While it does have a smoky flavor to it, I wasn't crazy about it. When its fully cooked, their turkey bacon looks like cooked pork bacon and has the same texture but, it doesn't have the same taste.

Overall, I wasn't super wiped out with this product though it does offer various advantages such as less fat, probably fewer calories (just 35 calories per slice) and no religious restrictions for the the Jewish and Islamic faiths as there isn't ANY pork in the product. For those who want to enjoy bacon without some of its drawbacks, Oscar Meyer's turkey bacon may be the way to go. Bon Appetit!

No comments: