Monday, February 18, 2013

Weaver's Turkey Jerky Review

One of the products I particularly like at Beiler's Meats located at 9701 Ft. Meade Road in Laurel, Maryland is Weaver's Turkey Jerky. The jerky has a nice flavor and is cheaper than their various beef jerky's. Also, the jerky doesn't have any Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), has a good shelf life (up to a year) though it must be refrigerated once it's opened and, I believe is lower in fat than beef jerkys. Lastly, it's cheaper than other beef jerkys (this may not longer be true, see update) . Beiler's sells it for $16 a pound (definitely not true any longer, see update) though the shopper can save a $1 a pound if they buy an entire 2 pound package of the jerky like I do (no longer true). The only downside I see to this turkey jerky is it's not widely available throughout the United States. The jerky is made in Lebanon, Pennsylvania and is limited to various markets in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware (based on information from their website http://godshalls.com/. I believe the reason I can get it in Maryland is because Beiler's is part of a Dutch Market in Laurel.

Overall, Weaver's turkey jerky is good jerky for those who like jerky. It has gotten more expensive recently (at one time Beiler's was selling it for $13.50 a pound) but, it's still a very good product. Jerky lovers may not be pleased that it comes in only the standard flavor unlike Oberto's which offer their turkey jerky in teriyaki and peppered as well as regular flavor. But, it's still a good product and worth buying providing you can find it. Happy eating all!

Update January 1, 2016: A couple days before New Year's, I stopped by Beiler's Meats at the Laurel, Maryland Pennsylvania Dutch Market and decided to get some more Weaver's Turkey Jerky. I confess I haven't bought it in a while and, I got one heck of a shock when I found out how much the price has gone up on it. The jerky is now selling for $19.50! a pound though you can get a 20 cent a pound discount at Beiler's if you buy an entire 2 pound package of it. I don't know why it has gone up this much though part of the reason may be the avian flu that hit a bunch of turkeys here in the U.S. and caused turkey prices to go up. However, that is very much a guess on my part. I still think it's very good jerky. However, the high price may discourage some folks from buying it and, I can understand that. I won't be buying as much of it myself. Cheers all!

No comments: